Is A Tummy Tuck or Lipo Better?Posted on February 1, 2022
Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction
Tummy tuck vs. liposuction distinction is important to understand when you are thinking of getting a body contouring cosmetic surgery procedure for restoring a youthful appearance. Liposuction is a highly customizable and versatile fat reduction surgery which can be performed as a standalone procedure or in combination with other procedures.
On the other hand, tummy tuck procedure is a specific plastic surgery designed for correcting a sagging abdominal appearance and creating a flatter and firmer mid-body appearance. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Kim provides tummy tuck and liposuction body contouring surgeries to patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA, and surrounding communities.
Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction – Procedure
- Invasiveness: Tummy tuck is generally more invasive as compared to liposuction. Both skin and fat removal is involved in tummy along with muscle tightening. Tummy tuck may also involve repositioning of belly button in some cases. On the other hand, liposuction only involves fat removal.
- Versatility: Liposuction is more versatile and customizable as compared to tummy tuck cosmetic surgery. It can be performed in multiple body areas with excellent body contouring results. Tummy tuck only focuses on the abdominal region.
- Aesthetics: Tummy tuck procedure can create more dramatic and aesthetically appealing results because it is more comprehensive in nature. On the other hand, liposuction works well in areas that has some measure of skin elasticity. Or else, it may need to be combined with other procedures.
Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction – Results
- Pervasiveness: Tummy tuck improvements are only limited to flanks, abdominal region, and waistline. This is when you choose an extensive abdominoplasty as well. However, liposuction can create pervasive results by removing unwanted fat from multiple areas of both lower and upper body.
- Scarring: Tummy tuck surgery tends to leave a more visible scar depending on the surgical technique used. On the other hand, liposuction will create minimal post-surgical scarring because of less invasive techniques. Skilled surgeons can make sure that there is conservative scarring in both procedures.
- Longevity: Tummy tuck results can last for up to 10 – 15 years or more depending on your lifestyle, exercise and diet. The fat cells once removed will never return in liposuction. However, they can still grow in size if you don’t maintain fitness.
Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction – Recovery
- Downtime: Liposuction involves downtime of 3 – 5 days. Downtime in tummy tuck can last for 10 – 14 days. Downtime is longer if both tummy tuck and liposuction is performed.
- Post-operative Pain: Post-operative discomfort and pain is higher in case of tummy tuck surgery. However, it can be managed with prescription pain medications. Liposuction requires pain medication for just 3 – 5 days.
- Swelling: Bruising will resolve in 2 weeks after a tummy tuck procedure. However, swelling may linger for months in the abdominal area. It will gradually disappear after a few months. Incisions in liposuction are minimal, which means the swelling will go away quicker as compared to a tummy tuck procedure.
Cosmetic surgeon Dr. David Kim receives patients from Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA, and nearby areas for liposuction fat reduction and tummy tuck body contouring surgery.
Schedule a Consultation with Board Certified Beverly Hills California Plastic Surgeon Dr. Kim
Also visit drdavidkim.com
Serving Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Orange County, Southern California and surrounding areas.